Monday, September 15, 2008

Sex, Lies, and Candleabrum

So apparently Steven Soderbergh will be directing a new Liberace biopic.
The icing on the piano shaped cake? Michael Douglas will be cast as the wildly flamboyant performer. 
Liberace, who maintained throughout his entire career that he was not gay ,had his start as a classical musician. His act quickly evolved into what he called "classical music with the boring parts left out". He appeared in movies, television, and even wrote a cookbook. I remember watching the Liberace Show with my parents, and I especially remember his appearance on the Muppet Show. There is a Liberace Museum in Las Vegas which I have never been to, but I hear is totally worth a visit, if not just to see his collection of glorious man rings. I love that Steven Soderbergh will be directing this film, because it is sure to have a twisted focus to it, with a lot of Liberace's famous self deprecating humor. Get your purple sequined movie watching capes ready, because this is going to be a good one.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh lord I can't wait to see this movie.

Speaking of movies, have you seen Burn After Reading? I have not yet,my brother loved it and my paretns said it was so-so. Thoughts?

Emilie said...

I can't wait to see that one. I am glad to hear someone you know loved it, because I keep reading bad reviews. Cohen brothers movies have a way of getting crappy reviews then becoming cult classics, though, don't they?