Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Ode to a Family Friend

The Erwins have been family friends since well before I was born. Jim, Marg and their kids Eric and Lisa have been in our lives always. When I was in my early twenties I ran into some trouble and Jim made it a point to help me out and guide me in the right direction, providing me with a shoulder to lean on that my parents just couldn't provide, simply because, well...they were my parents. They were just too close to me to be able to see what I needed, though they did everything they could and more. Jim stepped in and offered to help and I will never, ever forget that. 

Jim Erwin died this morning after a year and half long battle with brain cancer. I was able to visit him in October one last time. I knew it would be the last time, because I could tell that HE knew it would be the last time. As we rose from our chairs to say goodbye I lingered behind a bit so I could squeeze his hand as he lay in his hospital bed. He looked at me tearily and said, "I love you, Emilie". I squeezed his hand hard and told him that I loved him, too. There is no doubt in my mind; we both knew that was our final goodbye.
When Jim was first diagnosed, he was given a prognosis of 6 months to live. He lived for a year and half past that day. When I think about Jim and his life, I can say for sure that I know why he outlasted his projected remaining time for a full year. 
For one thing, I have never met such a close knit and loving family in my entire life. He and his wife Marg were like a couple of peas in a pod. Always laughing, always discovering new things. Still totally in love with each other after fifty years of marriage. The relationship of Jim, Marg, and their kids Lisa and Eric was.. IS like a family of best friends that cherish every second together. That always made an impression on me. The other thing that stands out is that Jim had an incredible sense of humor and sort of bottomless creativity that he expressed in many ways. 
The following are some cartoons and drawings that he made over the years:

Here is a little card he made for my parent's anniversary:












I LOVE this one: it was for my mom's birthday. (My dad was a christmas tree farmer):





























Here is a birthday card he made for me: at the time I played all of the instruments pictured, and I do believe this is an accurate depiction of my family's reaction to my "music" :




























Oh, and one more thing: the Erwins would annually play a practical joke on my parents on April Fool's day, and vice versa. Once time they took my parents out to lunch and bribed the waiter to bring out these ridiculous joke meals in place of what they actually ordered. I think one year my parents covered their lawn with plastic flamingos..there were pranks every year.
The moral of the story: life can be cruel and it is definitely short. To be full of life, humor, positivity, and surrounded by family and friends is the best way that a person can live. 
Goodnight, dear Jim. We all love you very much.





3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so sorry for your loss. He sounds like a wonderful man with a wonderful family. Glad you got to know him.

Anonymous said...

This was absolutely beautiful, Emilie! I'm so glad you added the cartoons. I had forgotten some of those.

I am going to make chicken and walnuts in honor of Jim.

Vanessa said...

I love the illustrations! Through your writing, I feel like I have a real sense of what Jim was like. What an awesome family; you are blessed (and not in a lame-o religious way) to have such great people in your life.
Many hugs as 2009 approaches.